Please send stories or enquiries to: email@example.com
Why not make the White Rock Sun your home page?
Jackie Evancho - "To Believe"....
With four pre teens competing in the Diamond in the Rock this week, I thought this would be the perfect accompaniment. Enjoy!
I can still remember the moment when live music came back into my life in a big way. Standing around the bar very late many years ago at Beecher St. Cafe my good friend Rob Ahlgren said to me: "Have you ever heard of Jason Mitchell?" "Who's that?" I said. "He's an amazingly talented song writer who grew up in White Rock and had a contract with Warner Brothers Canada for his album The World is Flat, that they haven't renewed." Rob said. "How would you like to co-manage him with me?" And so the adventure began. Rob and I co-produced Jason's next album "Little Coma" which received very favourable reviews and where a number of songs charted in the Top 20 in Canada. There were many memorable moments, but none more so than the first time I went into Turtle Recording Studio and was witness to the process of bringing songs and an album to life.
Since then, thanks in large part to my good friend Ed Johnson welcoming me in and introducing me into the musical community, I have had the honour and pleasure of coming to know many wonderful musicians and becoming part of "The Rock's" extended musical family. Another highlight for me was coming to know Jordan Carrier who was an important part of the Jason Mitchell project and a brilliant composer and musician in his own right. With Jordan's hard edge so much like John Lennon, and Jason so much like Paul McCartney, I always had a dream that they'd get together and write a few songs together. And it's happening. Stay tuned. I've been feeling a little nostalgic lately with my upcoming move into Vancouver, (Mark Sat. July 13th on your calendar for my going away party!) and when I received the email below it triggered a bunch of wonderful memories. I know that anyone who's ever been in a recording studio or imagined doing so is going to enjoy this. See ya out there. Best Doug E <l:) (Thank you Derkan Wardel!)
Just thought I would be nice and share with you all!
If you want you can scroll down this email and click on the http link below to watch the Documentary "Sound City"
Goes through the history of the music recorded at this historic studio. When the studio goes out of business the original board is purchased by Dave Grohl (Nirvana, Foo Fighters) and set back up in his home studio, where he invites the greats like Tom Petty, Stevie Nicks and Fleetwood Mac, Rick Springfield, REO Speedwagon, Paul McCartney just to name a few, back to his studio to record new music on this historic original Neve Board.
Anyone who has a love for music and how it's made will thoroughly enjoy this, it is truly amazing!!"
PICK(S) OF THE WEEK
There's not too many weekends in this magical place when there isn't some amazing music going on in town. This week is one of the better ones. Top of the list has to be Saturday and Sunday at Camp Alexandra.
Camp Alexandra Annual Festival May 25th 11:00am to 5:00pm
(Courtesy Rod Dranfield President of the WR Blues Society)
Every year the Camp Alexander Festival helps us all welcome the coming summer
and fine weather by offering a cornucopia of sights, sounds and tasty food to the local community. It's a
great time for everyone in the family.
Each year the White Rock Blues Society sponsors a blues act to perform on stage
and we set up a tent to promote the society. This year we are sponsoring The James Shepherd Band who will doing a set on the main stage. Come on down and enjoy the fun.
Entertainment on the outdoor stage is as diverse as it is entertaining. Some of the highlights include
children's performer Chris Hamilton, the colourful and energetic Bhangramatics, an Aboriginal
crowd-inclusive pow-wow, Togoles African drumming and dance, and blues, jazz and rock. And once again,the very popular New Life Art show will be on display in Alexandra Hall.
Family fun will include two bouncy castles, face painting, a creation station, pre-school and first Nations Circle story times, and lots of other fun activities. Click herefor the day's program.
Artisans and crafters with unique items will be selling everything from jewelry to clothing, lotions and potions and both foodies and gardeners will want to visit the community garden where Sources Food Bank, the WR/ S Surrey Urban Food Markets and the Kwantlen Seed Library will all be on hand with a wealth of
information. Mobile food trucks, and a variety of traditional and ethnic foods will be available on site all day.
Many diverse groups will be at the Festival for the first time, including The Fraser Region Aboriginal Centre with traditional crafts, UMOJA Family services, DIVERSECity, HIPPY Canada with information on multicultural childcare issues and QMUNITY, an education and outreach program in support of a safe, inclusive
Crescent Beach parking woes? No problem - hop on our convenient shuttle which will be departing
continuously from the #240 Crescent Beach Legion at
2643 128th Street from 11a.m. to 5p.m.
Plan to spend some time by the beach at this popular community event. There's something for everyone!
The 39th Annual Festival Saturday with the Last Sunday Coffee House Sunday.
There's a great one two punch. And, with Carole Pope in town at Blue Frog Studio you have a great choice of local or international talent this week.
Saturday night it's Wailin' Al Walker with the Chris Noel Band at the Crescent Legion. And if you're in the city, Mary's Gunns at Joe's Apartment promises to be fun.
Whew! See ya out there. <l:)
- Rod Boss Magician - Thursdays at 6:00 PM at the Tudor Ale House;
- Coffee House - An old tradition continues Thursdays at Camp Kwomais;
- Ed Johnson - weekly with Brickhouse at the Fairview;
- Karaoke - Thursdays at Sawbuck's;
- Nikita's Reason - Thursdays 6:00 to 10:00 PM at the U Lounge;
- Gord Pearson Jam - May 23rd at the West Beach Bar & Grill;
- Scott Simpson of Terminal Station - May 23rd is Martini Night $4.25 at the Washington Ave. Grill;
- THE Blues Jam - The tradition continues Thursdays at the Sandpiper;
- In Loving Memory of John Guiel - June 6th at the West Beach Bar & Grill;
- 70's and 80's Karaoke - presented by Almost Famous- dancing and singing at the Sandpiper;
- Brent Belair and the Grand Little Band - Fridays at Slainte's By the Pier;
- Blues on Broadway - Fridays with special guests at the Fairmont to 2:00 AM;
- Blue Voodoo - May 24th at Billy Miner Pub;
- Branon - May 24th is the weekly hot spot for dancing to classic tunes at Tommy Salsa's;
- Caribbean Steel Band Player - Fridays 6:30 to 10:30 PM at the Pacific Inn Lounge;
- Deluxe Restaurant Spin Night - Fridays until 1:00 AM late night exquisite food;
- Front Porch Boys - May 24th at the Tudor Ale House (free shuttle home);
- Live Music - May 24th at the West Beach Bar & Grill;
- Neil Harnett - May 24th at the Washington Ave. Grill (WAG);
- Friday Frolics - May 24th Dinner ($15) and Dance 6:30 PM Crescent Legion;
- Rice Honeywell - weekly at Five Corners Bistro;
- Karaoke at the Elks Hall - 7:30 to Midnight with dinner $3.50 5:30 to 6:30 PM;
- Arsen Shomakhov - Friday's Blues on Broadway at the Fairview on Broadway;
- Tyson Mac - May 24th Diamond in the Rock Week #5 winner at the Roadhouse Grille;
- Gary Comeau and Guests - June 7th at Blue Frog Studios
- Neil Harnett - June 7th at the Washington Ave. Grill (WAG);
- Almost Famous Karaoke - dancing and singing every weekend at the Sandpiper;
- Blue Voodoo - May 25th at Bob's Bar and Grill;
- Camp Alexandra Festival - May 25th at Camp Alexandra 11:00am to 5:00pm;
- Caribbean Steel Band Player - Saturdays 6:30 to 10:30 PM at the Pacific Inn Lounge;
- Front Porch Boys - May 25th at the Tudor Ale House (free shuttle home);
- Guitar Mayhem with Wailin Al Walker - with the Chris Noel Band May 25th at the Crescent Legion;
- Neil Harnett - May 25th at the Washington Ave. Grill (WAG);
- Rice Honeywell - weekend music at Five Corners Bistro;
- Live Music - May 25th at the West Beach Bar & Grill;
- Live it Up Dance - May 25th $15 includes free dance lesson at the Elks Hall;
- Mary's Gunns - May 25th at Joe's Apartment;
- Tommy's Gang - is the weekly hot spot for dancing to classic tunes at Tommy Salsa's;
- Top 40's - DJ's spinning dance tunes at Sawbuck's;
- Tyson Mac - June 1st at the Roadhouse Grille;
- From the Caribbean With Love - June 8th at the Star of the Sea;
- Neil Harnett - June 8th at the Washington Ave. Grill (WAG);
- Tommy Alto - June 8th all age CD Release at Blue Frog Studio;
- Tyson Mac - June 8th at the Roadhouse Grille;
- Mostly Marley - Sat. June 8th at the Tudor Ale House;
- Dennis Peterson - June 8th Open Mic at Good Day Sunshine Cafe 6:00 to 9:00 PM;
- Chris Williams - June 15th at Blue Frog Studios;
- Nice Verdes - June 22nd - 6:00 to 8:00pm traveling duo at Small Ritual Cafe;
- Afternoon Karaoke - Sundays 1:00 to 4:30 PM at the Sandpiper;
- Folk Sessions - Every Sunday 2:00 to 5:00 at Slainte's by the Pier;
- Sami Ghawi Artist Showcase - Sundays at the West Beach Bar & Grill;
- Brad Hadley - Sunday afternoons 1:00 to 4:00 PM at Jimmy Flynn's Celtic Snug;
- Dennis Pook - weekly acoustic jam at Uli's Restaurant;
- Carole Pope - May 26th at Blue Frog Studio;
- Crescent City Shakers- May 26th the WR Traditional Jazz Society - 3:00 PM at the Cres. Legion;
- The Last Sunday Coffee House - May 26th Pot Luck at Camp Alexandra;
- Mostly Marley - June 9th 12:30pm at the Tudor Ale House;
- The Last Sunday Coffee House - June 30th Pot Luck at Camp Alexandra;
- James Adamick with guests - Mondays at Dublin Crossing;
- Mario Brox - weekly "Concept Radio Show" 2:00 to 3:00 CJSF 90.1 FM - SFU Radio Station;
- Sami Ghawi's "Artist Showcase" - Mondays at the Back Stage Lounge;
The contest is open to all youngsters that are 19 and under the day they perform, and live in White Rock / South Surrey. There's an exciting prize package to enhance the winner's career, and the experience of performing live in front of family and friends is a thrill that all youngsters will remember for a long time. To get all the details, visit our Facebook page. (and please "Like" us and become a friend.)
Next Wednesday is the final weekly run up to the big finalists concet on June 8th. Come on out to the Roadhouse grille for a wonderful night of music and entertainment. The music begins at 7 p.m.
....and this week's winner is (drum roll please) Congratulations Jasmine Stacey
Jasmine Stacey - Age 10
Jasmine is a budding young singer of Filipino-Canadian descent who lives in South Surrey and attends Peace Arch Elementary School. She will turn eleven in June. Jasmine has performed in several public venues including community halls, restaurants, the New Westminster 12th Street Music Festival and both Night markets in Richmond. She enjoys singing in front of a crowd and would like to someday do a special concert for seniors.
What a fun night this is going to be with a great collection of pre-teen entertainers!
This year the Diamond in the Rock is being hosted by Dennis Peterson. Dennis is a well known local musician and open mic host, and we are fortunate to have him as the host. Each week, a musical guest warms things up and then the contestants show us their stuff. The contest takes place at the Roadhouse Grille on King George at 160th every Wednesday from 7:00 to 9:00 pm. It's friendly and comfortable, with great family food, and any youngster who enjoys performing in public, is gonna love this opportunity to do so as their family and friends cheer them on.
To register or for more info, please send an email to Dennis Peterson at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Tickets are on sale now for the wonderful finals of the Diamond In The Rock wrap up at Blue Frog Studios in White Rock.
We are proud to confirm TOMMY ALTO last year's winner of DITR will be the special musical guest performer the night of June 9.
Tommy has another very special show the night before at Blue Frog
TOMMY ALTO Diamond In The Rock Winner 2012
ALL AGES release party for Tommy Alto's new extended play: OCEANS \\ CAROLINA
+ opening performance by Brett McCrady
ALL AGES!!! (no booze or drugs)
Doors: 7:00PM // Show: 8:00PM
$15 - incl. a copy of the EP on CD
$30 - incl. a copy of the EP on TRANSPARENT 12" VINYL (180-gram)
BLUE FROG STUDIOS
1328 JOHNSTON RD.
WHITE ROCK BC
Gena Perala Announces the release of her new CD "Exactly Nowhere"
My name is Gena Perala and I'm a local singer songwriter who grew up in White Rock and now lives in Vancouver. I've been described as Jewel meets Peaches, which is actually a pretty good description. I've been working on this album "EXACTLY NOWHERE" for the last 3 1/2 years with the awesome and talented Chris Gestrin and Russell Marsland producing. Some notable musician on the album include, recent Juno award winner Violinist Meredith Bates, Cellist Peggy Lee, Drummer Joel Fountain, myself, Chris and Russell of course, just to name a few. I'm very proud of the album and look forward to releasing it. Release date is set for JUNE 16 at The Chapel Arts.
Thanks so much in advance.
- Performer's Registration for Spirit of the Sea on the August Long Weekend.
Jim Black is the Entertainment Director, with lots of help from Crystal Brisson. Any bands interested in joining the festival should contact them at email@example.com.
We're happy to report our good buddies THE MUD BAY BLUES BAND return to the comfy confines of CLUB 240 aka THE CRESCENT BEACH LEGION on Saturday June 1.
MUD BAY BLUES BAND - 35 YEARS YOUNG....and still not acting their age!!
PLATINUM BLONDE and SLOAN headline this year's CANADA DAY celebrations (July 1) in Surrey at Millenium Park in Cloverdale. Country artist CRYSTAL SHAWANDA rounds out the lineup.
DOMINIK HINES Coming June 7
We first heard Dominik Heins when he was in recording at Blue Frog Studios a couple years ago, and we thought, "wow, Michael Kaeshammer has an amazing brother". In fact, Dominik is from the same region in Germany as Mr. Kaeshammer and both have gone on to exceptional international careers.
Dominik Heins is an extraordinarily talented piano player and vocalist specializing in jazz, Boogie Woogie and swing styles. His solo performances captivate audiences with his exuberant improvising, a deep rhythmic groove, and his uniquely hard-swinging vocal style. Elements of Dominik's musical style can be likened to those of artists such as Fats Waller, Nat "King" Cole, Harry Connick Jr. and of course, Michael Kaeshammer. A regular on jazz stages and festivals around the world, Dominik has performed with Chuck Berry, Jerry Lee Lewis, and Axel Zwingenberger. In addition to Dominik, the trio is comprised of Sam Shoichet (double bass) and Alex Klassen (drums).
Joining Dominik on stage will be some very special guests:
Gary Comeau - a singer-songwriter and musician of unique diversity and talent. He delivers originally crafted, high energy, New Orleans-style jazz and blues. His music has also been in movies, as well as aired on TV and radio and he's a regular on the West Coast Festival circuit, where his live performances are often the showcase highlight. Gary blew everyone away last December in concert with John Lee Sanders.
Wendy Bollard – in addition to performing in England, Ireland, the US and Canada, Wendy has been featured on the CBC and at the Western Canadian Music Awards. She was also Dal Richardʼs featured vocalist. In White Rock, Wendy is also well known for her numerous theatre productions at the Coast Capital Playhouse.
Laine Henderson - A wide range and flexibility of style enables Laine to flow seamlessly from delicate highs to soulful lows all the while carrying clarity of tone that is hard to match. Laine studied at the renowned Berklee College of Music and spent her post-graduate years in New York City and regularly appearing at the top jazz clubs there. While she lived in Dublin, Ireland, she quickly found herself touring with the still famous Irish Dance Show, Riverdance.
This will be a great evening of music at Blue Frog Studios & Performance Centre. Tickets for this show available right now at:
"CHRIS WILLIAMS" – Saturday June 15th, 2013 Doors: 7:30 pm Show 8:00 pm
Award Winning Vocalist Chris Williams Performs CD Release Event for
"Elizabeth: Songs Based on Pride & Prejudice"
It's so good to see someone who grew up in White Rock having a great musical career. Chris Williams studied under the highly acclaimed musical director Dave Proznick at Semiahmoo Secondary School, moved to Los Angeles over 15 years ago, and has been performing professionally ever since. This award winning sensation has impressed audiences with his intense passion, vocal proficiency, and musical maturity. He has built a loyal following, and his highly entertaining performances are met with great enthusiasm by people of all ages.
Chris is the 2007 winner of the Orange County Music Award for Best Latin, and a nine-time OCMA nominee, including nominations in 2011 for "People's Choice", and a 2012 nomination for "Best Jazz". He has performed with world-famous musicians including: Justo Almario (Sergio Mendes / Mongo Santamaria), Alex Acuna (Tolu / Weather Report), Clayton Cameron (Tony Bennett), Ramon Banda (Poncho Sanchez), Llew Mathews (Nancy Wilson), Luther Hughes (Gene Harris), Dr. Scott Tibbs (Wayne Newton / Omar Hakim), Scott Martin (Poncho Sanchez), Francisco Torres (Jazz On the Latin Side All Stars), Dave Markee (Eric Clapton), Matt Politano (Jazz Phenom), Ernie Nunez (Brian Setzer Orchestra), Caleb Quay (Elton John), Steve Crum (Diana Ross), Daniel Glass & David Miller (Royal Crowne Revue), Justin Ray (Michael Buble), Mike Bennett (Hilary Duff), and Kye Palmer (The Tonight Show Band).
Chris will perform at Blue Frog Studios for the official release of his new album "Elizabeth: Songs Based on Pride & Prejudice" in celebration of the 200th anniversary of Jane Austen's timeless masterpiece, Pride & Prejudice. All songs on the album are original compositions by Williams.
"I think Chris Williams' album is most enjoyable.
He is a very talented vocalist and scat sings well."
Dave Brubeck / Legendary Jazz Pianist
Live Entertainment Every Weekend at The Roadhouse
May 24th Friday Alana & Brianne (14 yr old Twins) Guitar and Banjo http://alannabrianne.com/
May 31 Friday Dennis Peterson
June 1st Sat Alana & Brianne (14 yr old Twins) Guitar and Banjo http://alannabrianne.com/
June 7th Friday Dennis Peterson
June 15th Sat Tommy Alto http://www.tommyalto.com/
- Live Dance Bands with a free shuttle every weekend at the Tudor Ale House
Look forward to dancing to live music Friday and Saturday of every week at the Tudor Ale House on 176 St. (Pacific Highway) 4 rotating bands each one weekend a month. Dance the night away with no worries as there's a free shuttle service to and from the Tudor (call 778-294-1080) so you and your friends can relax and rip it up. This is gonna be fun! Here's the regular monthly line up:
17-18: Neil Harnett
24-25: Front Porch Boys
May 31-June 1: Chris Newton Band
Did You Ever Want To Learn How To Write A Song?
Well, here is the opportunity you've been looking for...
Sue & Ron Irving (www.starbirdmusic.net) are facilitating a one-day song writing workshop on Saturday, May 25 in Surrey, BC
We'll critique some of the attendees' songs, talk about rhyme scheme, song structure, melody (what works/doesn't work) and why....
...discuss the business side of the music industry.... write with other writers.... generally have a great time!
Check out the attached flyer for registration information and more details....
Let's get CREATIVE and have some fun!
Where: #303 – 14620 64th Avenue, Surry, BC
When: Sat, May 25th – 10 AM – 5 PM
Register: www.kiklibrary.com or 604-764-0140
- The Drama Class Summer Camp for Kids at Crescent Beach
Now is the time to think about Summer Camps for kids! The Drama Class at Crescent Beach has day camps and one workshops for kids ages 7 - 17. If you have a performer in the family, don't miss these camps! If you have someone who should be in commercials, you'll want to check out The Drama Classes' one day Commercial Workshop with Talent Agent Pamela Wise. For more info, visit www.thedramaclass.com or call 604-535-5977. Space is limited so email or call them to save your seat.
DAVID "Boxcar" GATES has been confirmed for a pair of shows at this year's Vancouver Jazz festival.
June 23 and July 01 at Ouisi Bistro on Granville Street . Shows begin at 8 p.m.
Barrio Fundraiser - Sat. June 8th - From the Coast to the Caribbean With Love
Sat. June 8th - 6:30-9pm, Dinner with the Divas of Barrio Blanco
for Building Homes from the Heart
from the Coast to the Caribbean with LOVE
Knights of Columbus Chambers, (around back Star of the Sea Hall)
15262 Pacific Ave. White Rock.
A fundraising Caribbean flavored fundraising dinner featuring Carnival girls, Caribbean Bachata/Merengue LIVE music entertainment, a traditional 3 course plated traditional Dominican Republic dinner, Silent & LIVE auctions, and Hot Salsa and Afro-Creole dance demonstrations.
ALL net proceeds going to Providing Opportunity a community based self-sustainable project to build homes, provide food, medical services and education to the poor living in the slums of Barrio Blanco, Cabarete, Dominican Republic.
Hear moving stories from the Divas who personally experienced sponsoring a home and know the huge difference these donations make to the hard working families of Barrio Blanco.
Tickets to the Dinner can be purchased as a gift of $100 at www.PeopleHelpPeople.ca please select $100 amount and sign in as a guest payment for Visa or Mastercard
To GIVE a gift of your chosen donation amount go to www.PeopleHelpPeople.ca and select the amount you would like to give and sign in as a guest payment for Visa or Mastercard
More information can be found on our Facebook Community/Cause page https://www.facebook.com/BarrioBlancoCabareteDominicanRepublic?fref=ts
If you wish more information or you would like to pay for a ticket to the dinner or donation by cash or cheque, please contact Event Producer Victoria Clements at 604-722-2914 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Seniors Star Contest - June 18th 2:00 to 4:00pm at Crescent Gardens Retirement;
Senior Star is a singing and musical instrument competition inviting Canadian residents, 65 years and older, to participate as contestants.
Inspire others through your music and charm! If you're 65 or over, share your musical gift with us & you could be Chartwell's next Senior Star Champion!
Chartwell Seniors Housing REIT | 1222 King George Blvd, Surrey, BC V4A 9W6
T: 604-541-6712 | F:604-541-6712
Nice Verdes - June 22nd - 6:00 to 8:00pm traveling duo at Small Ritual Cafe;
We are Nice Verdes an Australian/Canadian music duo and we will be playing a show in White rock at the Small ritual cafe June 22nd
Fresh from their Australian, New Zealand and South American tour Nice Verdes will be bringing you their original tropical gypsy folk music this B.C summer. Tres cubano, guitar, accordion, the music of nice verdes is universal and sunny.
6 - 8pm.
Nice Verdes are Sally and Jesse who have been performing together since first meeting at a peace march in Vancouver in 2003.
Nice Verdes have toured and performed over the last 8 years, continually honing their craft relentlessly. They have toured the east and west coasts of Australia, west coast Canada and both the north and south islands of New Zealand as well as Guatemala.
Nice Verdes released their first album 'Succulence" in 2008 and are in the midst of recording their newest full-length offering looking to be released in 2013.
The music of Nice Verdes is uplifting, sunny and has a fresh approach to original world folk music. Inspired by the music's of the world, Cuba, Colombia, Africa, Europe and Latin America, Nice Verdes plays combinations of Cuban tres, accordions, ukelele, harmonium, dolak, guitar, shruti box, stomp box and vocals.
They have always been drawn to collaborating with artists from all
countries and they enjoy most of all the parties and festivals that celebrate a strong sense of community and equality in diversity.
Sally - nice verdes
WOODSTOCK REVISITED II
JAISON BUIE does his best JIMI HENDRIX impersonation at last year's Woodstock Revial.
A website about music and the arts in the "Rock"
If you're a musician, a performer, an artist, or someone who is involved in the arts in some way, be sure to let the community know. Register at www.whiterockculture.ca to know the arts resources available in this magical place, and become a part of it so others know about you.
WEEKLY HOT SPOTS
5 Doors Down has fun and great food every night by the Pier.
Late night exquisite meals with hot music Fridays at Deluxe Restaurant;
Slainte's by the Pier has live music with an Irish flair Thursday to Saturday and a Folk Session Sunday afternoon.
The Tudor great music every Friday night.
Uli's Restaurant has a live music jam hosted by Dennis Pook every Sunday night and fine food and fun all the time!
The Washington Ave. Grill has weekly specials, and live music Thursday to Saturday.
The West Beach Bar and Grill has live music and drink and dinner specials throughout the week.
MUSIC OF THE NIGHT
- Crescent Beach Legion - 604-535-1043 dinner and dancing Fridays; Free Pool and Jazz Sundays;
- The Derby Bar and Grill - 604-536-2878 - world class food, off track horse racing, gambling, and entertainment
- Five Corners Bistro - 604-538-5455 - A family run business with a passion for good food and music;
- Ocean Park Pizza and Pub - 604-536-9654 -Great food, music frequently, and a friendly busy vibe;
- Roadhouse Grille - 604-531-3167 newly renovated with music weekends and casual home cooked meals;
- Sawbuck's - 604-536-6420 - live bands or contests and games on the weekends;
- Taps Urban Cafe - 604-536-1954
- Uli's Restaurant - 604-538-9373 -fine food, always lots of fun. Sunday acoustic jam;
- The Vault - 604-576-4243 - In Cloverdale for fine food and live music on Thurs., Fri., and Sat.;
- The Washington Ave. Grill - (WAG) 604-541-4244 Fine dining with live music 5 nights a week
- West Beach Bar and Grill - 604-541-7655 -a lively vibe with live music all week with an extensive, diverse and international menu;
- The White Rock Blues Society for where the blues are: www.myspace.com/whiterockbluessociety(Rod Dranfield - 604-542-6515)